-
November 11th, 2005, 03:53 AM
#1
ButtercupFlibble
Guest
What do you think happened to your favorite American Girls when they grew up? Did they marry? Did they have children? What about their friends and family? Make something up!
This is very loosely based on the Dear America books I used to read, where every book had an epilogue saying who did what and died when after the book's conclusion. One of my favorite characters died in a cholera epidemic just about two years after the story took place.
I think Lissie probably married Ben after the war.
I think Addy and Nellie probably both became teachers, judging by "Nellie's Promise" and that one Addy short story.
And finally, I think that Samantha became a social reformer, fighting against child labor and for women's rights and all that sort of stuff.
-
November 11th, 2005, 05:27 AM
#2
Inactive Member
ooooh fun!!!! Ok, well Kaya will become the brave woman she dreams of being, and I can't remember the boy in the book, but she'll marry him.
Felicity will obviously marry Ben, but I think she'll also become a renowned horse woman, and maybe she can do a Jo March and start a school, but for girls instead of boys.
Josefina will become a curandera of course, and will face the difficulties of the Texan secession from Mexico.
Kirsten will serve as a nurse in the Civil War (though technically it was the War Between the States...whatever) before settling down further west.
Addy will become a teacher, of course, and will eventually have a big family.
Sam will enter the workforce during world war I to serve her country. Later she will become a suffragette, but continue to work to support herself.
Nellie will become a teacher first, and an operator of a girl's home later. She will of course have a large family.
Kit will become a reporter, and will be one of the first women reporters sent abroad during wartime and will report on the war in Europe from the front lines.
Molly will become a stay-at-home mom and a volunteer with the Red Cross.
those are my guesses, this was fun [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
November 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Okay, heres what i think:
Kaya: not sure yet?!
Felicity: definatly marries Ben, maybe breeds horses...
Josefina: marries a Americano, becomes a curandera
Kirsten: marries John, the boy who lived in her house before her family
Addy: becomes a teacher and have a family
Samantha: ?
Nellie: becomes like the woman in her book who helped her....not sure of her name, must look it up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kit: Becomes a reporter, if she marries, i dont think she will have any kids.
Molly: Become a nurse, then like mayergirl said, be a stay at home mom
-
November 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Here we go:
Felicity: Marries Ben of course. I can see her owning a shop of some sorts and continuing her love of horses. As much as Lissie loves her town, I can see her settling farther in the country because she is an outdoors girl.
Elizabeth: I think that her parents remained loyalists but stayed in the colonies because of Mr. Coles job. Considering Very Funny, Elizabeth, I can see her slowly changing her mind towards the partiot cause. Perhaps Ben has a brother she can marry [img]wink.gif[/img]
Josefina: I could see her marrying an americano as easily as marrying another new mexican. Either way, she will become a well respected healer.
Kirsten: I think Kirsten will fall in love with some local boy who ends up enlisting in the Civil War. Afterwards-and yes he would survive-I see her just settling down somewhere else in Minnesota. Since shes not overly adventurous, I just cant see her traveling farther west.
Addy: Will become a teacher of course and will have a large happy family. I could see her marrying one of Sams buddies from the war. She would also stay very close to her family, I can see her parents living with her when they are older. I think she will also stay in Philly.
Sam: I see her devoting her entire life to reform issues and never marrying. She would be 'married' to her various causes. That may sound bleak, but its what a lot of activist women did. It would have been hard for an aristocratic woman to maintain a family and keep her 'family honor' by being involved in such things.
Nellie: Will also become a teacher and will help immigrants in NYC. She'll get married and have a big ole' Irish Catholic family [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kit: Will become a journalist of course and will go over to Europe during the war. I can see Kit going the way of Sam and never getting married so she can do what she wants. But I can also see her settling down. I have only read two of her books so its hard for me to say.
Molly: Will eventually become a nurse and will raise your stereotypical 1950s family in the suburbs.
I didnt include Kaya because I have not read any of her books yet. I should really do that AND finish Kit's.. [img]confused.gif[/img]
-
November 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Kaya - Becomes the strong brave women she desires to be. Marries - Not sure who, and has several HEadstrog girls like herself.
Felicity - Marry's Ben and then they Take over her Fathers Shop. She also starts raising Horses - They (The horses) live on Grandfathers plantation. They have several children
Elizabeth - Her Family Moves Back to England, but she stays and marries a friend of Her
Fathers and Lives in Philly with a large family.
Kirsten - Stays in Minnesota (As many swedes and norewegians setteled and stayed there) Marry's a Boy from her old Homeland and Lives close to her family, having several children.
Addy becomes a teacher marries and has many children - Her Great Granddaugter will become activi in The Civil Rights movement
Samantha -Becomes a suffragette and marries and divorces, she has one child and becomes a special Aunt to
Nellie's Large Family - She becomes a teacher as she wishes
Kit - Marries Sterling and has one Son - Sterling is killed in WW2. Kit Becomes a reporter after and Moves to New York City.
Molly - Is a Stay at home mom until her children are raised - She returns to College in the Mid-Seventies and then moves into the workforce
-
November 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Molly always wanted to be a nurse, didn't she?
-
November 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Gosh that's hard.
I like most of your theories. The only thing is I can't imagine Samantha getting a divorce. I think she would get married, but not to anyone in the books. She is independent, but she also has an affectionate heart which someone would capture.
-
November 17th, 2005, 01:17 AM
#8
HB Forum Owner
I don't know about the other but Felicity married Ben.
-
November 17th, 2005, 01:23 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Hehehe, I think its a consensus that Lissie would have married Ben. In my opinion, they have the best frienship of any of the historical characters. It is the most complex and goes through the most change as we see them become friends, rather than he is introduced as someone she has known for years. In the first book she is annoyed with hin because he hardly talks and by the final story, Ben is threatening to kill Jiggy Nye if he hurts Lisse. *sigh* What a guy. I just love his character.
-
November 17th, 2005, 01:32 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Samantha could of ended up marrying Eddie Ryland? I wrote a story once about this but I can't find it. Samantha and Eddie owned a nursing home that Kirsten and Addy were in, Molly was still 10,going to meet Kit (20) a news reporter who was doing a special on nursing homes.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks